Monday, December 10, 2007

Being Indypendent

So, I see lots of cars driving around all the time with those bumper stickers that say, "Be Indypendent. Buy Indy art." And I have to say, I'm really impressed with the art scene here in town. There are lots of interesting places in town to go see, buy and even make art, and I continue to be amazed at the affordable prices.

This past Friday was another "First Friday," when many of the galleries in town host opening events. While living in Chicago, I attended a few gallery walks in River North (I used to live in the neighborhood), but was always really discouraged by how pricey everything was. Yes, I saw lots of pieces I loved, but never for less than like 5 large...which can be a little tough to stomach, particularly on a PR-girl's salary.

So imagine my glee at discovering The Harrison Center, where the majority of works at every show are under $1,000 - typically WAY under. If you've not attended any Harrison Center openings, I highly recommend it. Last Friday's was just how you want it to be - a big crowd of interesting people, with music, art and free wine. Yay!

From there, I headed down to Fountain Square. I hit Big Car Gallery, which is always interesting (and makes me feel very hip just for knowing how to find it on the second floor of the Murphy building) as well as Alchemy. Alchemy is cool - a combo salon and art gallery. I never see a lot of people in there getting haircuts, but the art hanging in there is worth a look. Alchemy was hosting a silent auction of works donated by local artists to benefit the First Friday opening events. I guess the money made pays for the cheese trays or something. Anyway, I felt a little guilty getting away with a giant and very cool painting for $250 - after all, these are starving artists, right? But hey, it was for a good cause. Now I just need to figure out how to get it home...

1 comment:

cs-morris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.