Monday, August 27, 2007

Mid-Century Modernism Found in Indy!

Who knew there are enclaves of mid-century modernism to be found in Indianapolis? Well, now you do.

I must thank a woman whose name escapes me, whom I met at a cocktail party a couple of weeks ago. After telling her that my dream is to find a groovy mid-century modern home here in Indy, she told me about a whole neighborhood of them up in Carmel.

Well, thanks to the miracle of Google, I located the neighborhood and discovered that the architect behind all of the cool houses was a woman named Avriel Shull. The Carmel homes were built on some land that her family owned, and as I dug in further, I found that she also is responsible for an entire mid-century modern development off of Emerson Ave. called Ladywood Estates. Wow! A gold strike here in Indy. And how cool that they were designed by a woman.

1 comment:

Howling Hound Farms said...

Hey - I'm glad you discovered Ladywood Estates. I've lived here for about 6 months and love the awesome mid-century modern spaces. Check out our website - www.ladywoodestates.com. We're always on the lookout for more hipsters to be neighbors!