Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sort of Over the Designer/Discount Retailer Partnership Trend

I'm starting to feel like the whole super high-end designer creates a watered-down collection on the cheap for a discount retailer trend needs to go away. I'll admit, I've been sucked in by some of the Isaac Mizrahi for Target stuff, and I liked a few of the Libertine pieces for Target this summer, as well. Oh, and there's the Behnaz Sarafpour for Target stuff I bought last year and have never worn. Ditto the two pairs of Abaete for Payless shoes - I needed both colors, after all - that gave me blisters just walking around the house.

I've seen it done well - I'm thinking particularly of the Gap DIFFA collection, with different designer takes on the classic white shirt. It's no wonder that stuff literally flew off the shelves at Gap stores around the country; everytime I've worn the Claire McArdell-esque whith shirtdress from that collection I've gotten loads of compliments. I'm also due for another trek to Lafayette Square to see what SJP's done for her Bitten line for Fall (I know, I know - she's not exactly a designer, but she is a fashion icon, IMHO).

But overall lately I've not been impressed with what's come out of these collaborations. I previously posted about my disappointment in Simply Vera - I'm still holding out hope for this one, as it's a long-term partnership and not just a one-off, and I'm a Vera fan. The latest Target partnerships, though, just aren't working for me. Temperley has a collection for the "GO" line in stores right now, and I've not seen anything I liked. I've not yet seen the Hollywould shoes for Target in person, but the pictures look fairly dreadful. Ditto the handbags that Devi Kroell did for Target this summer.

Here's the issue. The beauty of Temperley's "real" stuff is in the details - elaborate beading and embroidery that you just can't duplicate on the cheap. Same with Devi Kroell. It's not that her designs are so spectacular; it's the materials she uses - exquisite skins and leathers. In vinyl, that just doesn't translate. Now, Hollywould has fallen into the same trap. Hollywould designs done in lovely leathers with quality beading and fabrics = great; similar, cutesy designs executed in cheapy materials = not so great.

I'm still holding out some hope for Roberto Cavalli for H&M, due in stores on November 8 (don't worry; I'm planning a lunch excursion to Circle Center on that day to check it out). I know what you're thinking - Cavalli is all about the extravagant, from beads to feathers to insanely expensive materials; how can H&M do anything close to that inexpensively? Well, I think what just might save this one is that it isn't all that cheap. I think some of the pieces are going to top out well over $200. Expensive for H&M, yes, but add a zero plus some more to get into "real" Cavalli land.

Anyway, I think it's worth a look...I'll let you know.

No comments: