Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bargain Cavalli Tomorrow

That's right, tomorrow is the day that Roberto Cavalli's fashions arrive at H&M stores around the country, including our very own Indy outpost at Circle Center Mall. From everything I've seen, we can expect plenty of Roberto's signature animal prints; I only hope that somehow they've managed to translate his phenomenal leathers at a more reasonable price point.

I'm going out on a limb. If the Roberto for H&M stuff disappoints, I might just have to admit that this whole designer/discounter partnership trend has jumped the shark. (I know, I know...saying "jumped the shark" has probably jumped the shark). But I digress. I have high hopes for this collection, since the price points are actually quite high for H&M. From what I understand, several of the pieces are well into the three figures - not exactly the $29.99 - $49.99 H&M sweet spot. But that's a good thing, IMHO. My problem with these partnerships lately has been that the quality/detailing of a designer line just doesn't translate to really cheap prices. Part of the joy of buying a designer something is that there is some luxury involved - good fabrics, nice details, quality workmanship. You just can't get that for under a hundred bucks, no matter how many little Chinese kids you've got sweating for you in the factory.

So it is with high hopes that I will trek to Circle Center tomorrow at lunchtime. Of course, I'll keep you posted...

P.S. Early warning on an upcoming Indianapolis Art Center benefit: On Friday, November 16, the Art Center will be hosting "Fiesta Friday" at Adobo Grill, starting at 10 p.m. It promises to be a very spicy evening, with salsa dancing lessons from 10 - 10:30 p.m., followed by an open floor for more salsa. So go get your mambo on - if Jane Seymour and Marie Osmond can do it, you know you can, too.

No comments: