Thursday, February 21, 2008

Forever in Love with Forever 21

As a new homeowner, I'm watching my pennies right now. Thank God for Forever 21 - a place where you can get a quick fashion fix for under $50. In most cases, for under $30.

I know the designers HATE Forever 21 - Anna Sui has even sent models down the runway in anti-Forever 21 t-shirts - and I can understand why. On a quick trip through the store, I saw looks "inspired" by J.Crew, Missoni, and Miss Sui herself.

Take this dress I just bought. It's a reasonable facsimile of the dress that J Lo wore to the Marchesa show during NY Fashion Week. And it was $29.80. No doubt the Marchesa version is more like $2,980. Now, I'm sure the Forever 21 folks saw this photo of J Lo and immediately got the kids in the sweat shops going on the knockoff, which is on the racks two weeks later.

Sure, I feel a little guilty keeping the sweat shops in business, but I'll get over it.

No comments: