Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Girl's Gotta Eat

I don't normally cover restaurants on IndyStyle, but since it's sort of lull time in the fashion world (winter/holiday sales are done and spring hasn't really sprung yet), I thought I'd take this opportunity to plug a new restaurant that I'm totally loving - The Meridian.

It's located where Dodd's Townhouse used to be, but it's completely different than Dodd's. The atmosphere is great - especially for winter. It feels like a lodge inside, and there's a cozy fireplace (I'm a sucker for a crackling fire). If you go without kids (which I always do), I recommend sitting in the bar. You can order from the full menu in there, and I prefer the atmosphere on that side of the wall (not sure what that says about me).

The food is great, too. I've not tried any entrees yet, but every appetizer, salad and soup I've tried has been pretty great. I particularly love their take on onion soup. Rather than having to navigate a thick layer of stringy cheese to get to the soup, they toast the cheese on top of a piece of baguette, so it's just cheesy enough but not overwhelming. The oysters Rockefeller are a treat, too - they're lightly fried, which was a new take for me on an old favorite. The shrimp risotto stands out, as well. If you're not too hungry, there's enough there for an entree. Especially if you order the macaroni and cheese on the side (I know, I know - heavy on the carbs) - it's the best mac and cheese I've ever had. No blue box here; just a blend of yummy cheeses and the unmistakeable hint of truffle oil. Is it dinner time yet???

No comments: