Monday, February 11, 2008

Thinking Vintage

First off, let me just say that I love the information age. I remember in the old days - like 5 years ago - we had to rely on the editors of the fashion mags to update us on the trends of the upcoming seasons. Due to their long lead times, we wouldn't really get a sense of the shows until months after they happened, and the editors got to be, well, editorial and only spotlight what they saw as the important looks.

Thanks to www.style.com and - my new favorite discovery - UltraHD network (I think this is only available on Dish Network - I just had mine hooked up this weekend), we can all sit front-and-center at all of the fashion shows. As I unpacked boxes in my new home this weekend, I found myself consistently mesmerized by "Full Frontal Fashion" on UltraHD, which was literally televising all of the recent NY Fashion Week shows, interspersed with interviews with editors, buyers and even some of the designers talking about the key trends in each show. While it got a little over-the-top with the breathless praise (I loved the, "Our front row rated this show a spectacular 8.5!" following each show...I never saw a show get lower than an 8 from the "front row"), you've got to love being able to watch the shows and determine the trends from your own vantagepoint, without having to rely on the editors.

So with that long-winded introduction, here's my advice for spring - which will move forward nicely into fall. Go vintage shopping! Now, I've been a longtime lover of vintage clothing since high school. But I have to admit that lately, my vintage loving had lagged a bit. Maybe because the vintage clothing store scene here in Indy is less-than-stellar (whatever happened to Modern Times?), or possibly because I've just been focused elsewhere, I've not bought anything old in a long, long time.

But from Miuccia Prada's resort '08 collection, which was very 50s in feel, to Michael Kors's fall '08 collection, which was very Jackie Kennedy/60s, clearly vintage is the prevailing vibe. Even Marc Jacobs went back in time - albeit to the 80s which is, frighteningly, also vintage at this point.

Thankfully, with the exception of rare vintage designer pieces that can be quite pricy, most vintage is reasonably priced. Just keep in mind as you're treasure hunting that condition is key. I've learned the hard way that that "not so fresh" smell won't come out, no matter how much Fabreze you spray on it, and even seemingly simple repairs can add greatly to the cost of a garment.

Ebay, here I come!

No comments: