Thursday, February 28, 2008

Trend Alert - Boyfriend Blazers

From the "everything old is new again" files, one trend that I keep seeing over and over again is the boyfriend blazer. Elizabeth & James (MK and Ashley's line) has a super-cool version with feathers on it, and other versions seem to be popping up everywhere.

Now, back in college I used to comb the Greencastle Salvation Army store, picking up men's blazers and wearing them with my jeans (folded in to be "stovepipes" at the bottom, of course). I had one in particular that I absolutely loved that I picked up from Dinwiddie's (still going strong in Broad Ripple) - it was a black man's blazer that had been customized with an awesome leopard collar.

While my Salvation Army stash is long gone, I find myself planning a Goodwill run this weekend to comb the racks for - you guessed it - a great man's blazer. Only this time my plan is to pop it on over cute little dresses as a way to transition into spring, ala Heidi Klum on last night's Project Runway. I realize I'm not Heidi Klum, but I think it's a cute look for regular girls, as well.

Speaking of Project Runway, Tim Gunn said two things last night that I cannot wait to incorporate into my own conversation. 1) "My gag reflex is kicking in," and 2) "This is like when you go into the monkey house at the zoo and think, 'God it stinks in here.' But after you've been in the monkey house for a half hour you think, 'It's not so bad.' And after a day in the monkey house you can't smell a thing. You've spent too long in the monkey house." Both of these classic Gunn-isms came in response to Chris March's use of real human hair in his designs, and both illustrate why I can't get enough Tim Gunn.

Make it work, people...

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com