Monday, September 10, 2007

In Support of Stylists

I've not usually been a fan of stylists. I always thought if I ever become a hot, filthy rich starlet I'd never hire a stylist. The process of shopping and putting together outfits is just too enjoyable for me. I thought stars relying on stylists were taking the lazy way out.

And then I watched last night's VMAs. Britney Spears' fired stylist must be having the last laugh this morning. Sure, lots of bloggers are focusing on her sleepwalking performance and 10 extra lbs...but what about that outfit? The truth is, if we saw Britney on the street, I'm sure she'd look thin. The camera adds weight, she's held to impossibly high Hollywood standards, etc. That we all get. But Britney - please take a cue from Alicia Keys or Beyonce. Neither of those two are stick thin, yet they usually manage to look great. Accentuate the positives, hide the negatives.

A stylist could have told Brit what she clearly didn't see when she looked in the mirror - you're just not quite ready for the hot pants and bra yet. A few more situps, a few less beers - then fine, bust it out. But not yet...

Was anyone else reminded of Elvis's final performance in a much-too-revealing jumpsuit? Let's remember, that happened right here in Indianapolis at our very own Market Square Arena.

Here's hoping that we don't find Brit dead on the toilet following a drug binge anytime soon.

Britney has left the building...

No comments: