Thursday, September 13, 2007

Singing the Praises of Fountain Square

So, IndyStyle is considering where to put down more permanent roots, as in buying a house in the spring. I've been literally all over the map - do I want a mid-century modern abode over by Cathedral? Should I stay in a cute bungalow in my current 'hood, Meridian Kessler? Or, should I try to do a little more urban pioneering, and look for something a bit more on the fringe?

After my latest visit to Fountain Square, I'm leaning toward the fringe. If you haven't visited Fountain Square in a while, you really should. There are some fun antique malls that are always worth a look, and the gallery scene is interesting, as well. I need to spend more time perusing the galleries, but Excellent Virtu is an intriguing mix of sort of Goth-inspired art meets Disney villains and scented candles. I also have to do more exploring of the restaurant scene, but Deano's Vino looks like just my type of place.

I just love the vibe of this neighborhood. It feels to me like Bucktown (in Chicago) was about 15 years ago, before the yuppies moved in and MTV completely ruined it by stationing a "Real World" house there. You know, back when artists could still afford to live there and facades still had a bit of grit on them.

I'll be headed to Fountain Square next Saturday, 9/22, for two events happening in the 'hood - Fab for Le$$, which appears to be about how to transform one of the cool old homes down there for not a lot of cash, and the Fountain Square Art Fair. You can be sure I'll give a full report!

In the meantime, check it out for yourselves.

No comments: