Thursday, September 27, 2007

To Knockoff, or Not to Knockoff

Long ago, I left knockoffs behind. Yes, there was a time when I could be tempted by a faux Louis Vuitton or other designer impostor from Canal Street, but - at least for fashion items - those days are long gone. Especially after reading about fashion fakes possibly funding terrorist activities, I vowed, "never again."

But what about furniture? As a lover of mid-century Modernism, must I hold out for the Knoll, Vitra or Herman Miller versions of classic pieces, or might a well-done "interpretation" be ok?

I ask this because for years I have lusted after the Eames "La Chaise." A classic piece of design, this lounge was first designed in the late 40s, I believe, but was never produced because even back then it was just too expensive. However, right around 1990 Vitra finally made it in limited quantities, but it's still quite pricey - north of $8,000, to be exact.

I've recently entered into a purchase agreement for an adorable home here in Indy, and there is a nook that would be literally the perfect spot for "La Chaise." But I can't justify $8,000 for one chair - even IndyStyle has her limits. Just ask the credit card companies.

So, after some digging - otherwise known as "googling" - I found a well-done knockoff of "La Chaise." It's still not cheap, but it's much cheaper than the real McCoy. More than $6,000 cheaper, in fact. The question is, is this completely wrong? Or more importantly, will I forever look at my fake "La Chaise," and think, "What a poser you are." Hmmmm. I'm putting up both pictures; you be the judge.

No comments: